Saturday, April 28, 2007

z2

My speed was suficient but I didn't anticipate the cow-sized dog breaking from the treeline and over taking me before the green. My nose would have been broken if I had been toting the melons. I learned years ago that if you turn your head to look back, it causes your hips to twist and reduces speed. I did turn my head a bit at the sound of galloping and definitely sped up when my peripheral vision outlined the size of that dog. It was too late by then and immediately my hands went forward when I felt the fur pushing into my upper thigh. Being on the fairway, there weren't any sticks or pinecones to scrape me up. My fingers didn't get jammed but the part of the palm under the thumb is tender now. A bit of throbbing while I type. So the dog knocks me down and I roll a couple of times because I was flat out sprinting when he bumped me. Then he just stands over me, licking and drooling. Now I'm no dog pyschotherapist but he seemed to be thoroughly amused by the naked human lying beneath him on the golf course. This picture flashed imagined on the front page hometown paper and it made me uneasy. I petted and hugged the big guy a while and was really thankful that he wasn't a barker. I got off the fairway and tossed a pinecone spending several minutes playing fetch.

No comments: