Sunday, February 17, 2008

quotes

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."

"I hope I shall always possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an Honest man."

"My mother was the most beautiful woman I ever saw. All I am I owe to my mother. I attribute all my success in life to the moral, intellectual, and physical education that I received from her."

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."

These are four quotes from George Washington from an article posted here. So often people drown in their need to socialize and end up hanging out with anyone. The people that we hang out with influence our behavior. What's truly sad about that is not that people end up doing things deemed unacceptable by a code of etiquette that they've rejected as antiquated and irrelevant, but that their own unique individuality is negated. Rather than striving for honesty, we simply accept that people will lie and end up without a measure for examining who we really are. No one is perfect and no one is honest one hundred percent of the time.

2 comments:

Mike Golch said...

True no one is honest 100% of the time there was a time that people were more honest that they are now,there was a time that people would not even think of crossing the lines that are being crossed today.

Endymion said...

I think people have been crossing lines since the beginning of the human experience. There are really good people on earth today, though no one is perfect, we can all strive to improve.