Saturday, February 9, 2008

rag

I really enjoy rag to riches stories. Today in my email, a guy named Richard told me about how an injury forced him to give up his job in the Navy as a bridge officer. He said that once he was out of the military, he had to take a job driving a truck "just to survive." Things got bad for Richard and he ended up nearly $100,000 in debt. Something really good happened to him though and now he makes $400,000 a year working just three days a week from the comfort of his home. It was really thoughtful of him to share his story with me. If I worked from the comfort of my cave, I'd end up spending all my time blogging rather than doing things to generate income. I don't make near $400,000 a year, but I'm not $100,000 in debt yet either. Heck, if I made that much money in a year, I'd take a few years off and do a little swimming in the Mediterranean.
It's really beautiful outside today. The wind is cool and the sun is warm. My little self is going to be out in it shortly. A girl that I went to school with is coaching a sixth grade team in a tournament today. They won an exciting game yesterday.

4 comments:

Mike Golch said...

sometimes a rags to riches story can be too good to be true.
I'm glad the weather there is good.
I did get the computer working but there still is a problem somewhere in side of it

Anonymous said...

Rag to riches story really do happen, mike - ours being one of them. At one point in time, all we had were only RM20 (that's roughly USD6.19) in the bank and with one fingernail after the other, we clawed our way out to a much, much better financial standing. There's still a long road ahead of us before we're satisfied with what we have but yeah, rag to riches stories are sometimes real :-)

Sorry for the late congrats but "Congratulations!" on your team's win anyway, endymion!

Endymion said...

Well, it sounds like you're on the right track, Mike.
Thanks for the personal illustration, Phoenix. I might have overlooked it, but I don't recall seeing anything about that on your blog.

Anonymous said...

I generally try to keep a low-key on my state of finances and so finding an entry on it in my blog would not be possible.

It's not the case of not wanting to share for it has been my experience that people really don't want to know how you got there - they're more concerned on whether you can impart to them an 'instant' solution/formula to financial independence/freedom.

There's really no shortcut - it's all grimy, sweaty and bloody hardwork (a concept extremely familiar to you, I'm sure). If anyone were to tell you otherwise, I'd recommend you respond with a polite smile and walk the other way :-)

Argh! See?? Preaching! LOL! Anyway, I grossly digressed; yeah, I didn't blog about it :-)